Injured In A DUI Accident? What You Need To Know About A Criminal And Civil Case

If you were injured in a car accident, and the driver who hit you was charged with a DUI, both a criminal and civil case can be filed against that driver. Many litigants are unsure of how a criminal case can impact their civil case. Here are some of the things that you need to know about the criminal case and civil case when you have been injured by a drunk driver.

The Statute of Limitations for Filing a Claim Is Not Delayed

One of the biggest misconceptions out there is that the statute of limitations for filing a civil case is delayed or stayed while a criminal case is pending. A criminal case and a civil case are two different cases in two different venues. One does not affect the timeline or statutes that are in place for both civil and criminal cases. If you fail to file a civil case before the statute expires, you give up all rights to bring a civil case against the drunk driver in the future.

Most Attorneys Prefer to Wait Until the Criminal Case Concludes Before Taking a Civil Case to Trial

While the statute of limitations for filing a claim is not delayed, once a claim is filed, your attorney can ask for the hearing or case to be postponed until the criminal trial comes to a conclusion. The burden of proof to win a civil case is much lower than to win a criminal case. If someone pleads no contest or is found guilty in a criminal case, the verdict or their plea can be used against them in a civil case. As such, many attorneys prefer to wait to bring their civil case to trial until the criminal case has concluded.

You Cannot Double-Dip on Injury Payments

The final thing that you need to know about a criminal and civil case for a DUI accident is that you cannot double-dip on your injury payments. If a criminal court orders a defendant to pay you $10,000 in restitution for your medical bills, you cannot turn around and ask a civil court to award you $10,000 for those same bills. You can only be awarded payments for things like medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering once, and cannot ask both courts for payments for the same things.

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you should not assume that you cannot file a civil case or that the civil case is delayed due to the criminal case. Speak to a car accident attorney as quickly as possible so the attorney can begin collecting evidence and filing your personal injury case. 

About Me

Hiring An Attorney For Commercial Bankruptcy

Hi, my name is Mackenzie Kohler and when my business partner and I were having financial difficulties, we decided that we would file commercial bankruptcy. Since a partnership bankruptcy can be very complicated, we hired an attorney to help us with all the legal aspects of this process. Our attorney made sure that everything was handled properly and this put my business partner and I at ease. If you're considering filing commercial bankruptcy, read my blog to learn what to expect during the process and how an attorney can help you. I hope this blog gives you all the information you need about commercial bankruptcy and hiring an attorney.



Latest Posts

20 March 2024
In the complex world of corporate business, an attorney is more than just a legal advisor. Attorneys serve as strategic partners, guiding corporations

2 January 2024
A civil litigation attorney plays a pivotal role in the legal system. Their expertise lies in representing clients in non-criminal disputes, often ref

2 January 2024
As a parent of a child with special needs, you may have encountered legal challenges in pursuing educational rights and services for your child. It ca